Friday, December 6, 2013

Supplements for Eye Health

Some vets may suggests many supplements that protect the retinal cells and may be beneficial if your dog can absorb the prescribed medicine and not cause digestive irritability. Shasta had problem with taking many supplements so I focused on her diet and medicine, which was a difficult decision because Caroline strongly believes the first few months of blindness are critical to protecting the retinal cells and preventing permanent blindness while her meds are working to bring down her estrogen levels. This will be a decision you will have to make on your own. One suggestion from experience though... Shasta has always had a sensitive stomach since she was a puppy and I had her on EVO dog food most of her life. Anytime she would get something different or get a bite of human food accidentally it was cause a disruption and I would have to treat her for diarrhea. I was told that because she is part German Shepherd and these dogs are known for sensitive stomachs that I would just have to keep a close eye on what she ate. The EVO kept her very healthy for a long time. Too bad they sold out to Proctor & Gamble and had so many recalls my local pet store no longer carries it. My point is that Shasta's sensitive stomach was a sign that shouldn't have been ignored. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, which is probably does if it has SARDS and a lowered immune system, then I do not suggest drastically changing the diet too quickly and I do not suggest starting a bunch of supplements all at the same time. I would start them sporadically to see how your dog digests and absorbs them. This is just a suggestion based on my dog's experience, but I am not a vet so this will be your own decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment